Let’s face it, a nice creamy chocolate cake does a lot for a lot of people; it does for me. –Audrey Hepburn
I think it’s safe to say that I’m all about the home cooked meal, making things from scratch. Real food. I mean you’re feeding real people right? Now that doesn’t mean that we don’t have our occasional box of KD or canned soup. It just doesn’t make up the bulk of our diet.
So what do I make when I need a dessert fast? Fast like, oops, the dreamer invited someone for supper and I need to make dessert and I don’t want to pick one up? What can I whip together that quickly? Lazy Lucy’s Black Forest Cake. Lucy’s my sister. The love of food runs in the family. I think technically though, the recipe credits go to my mom, Nana.
Full disclosure. I’m all about honesty. This recipe contains virtually no homemade ingredients but also requires little effort beyond mixing and baking. It is perfect when you’re short on time and need something to impress. And honestly, your guests won’t care. I think. If they do, maybe you should ask them to bring dessert?
So here we go. You will need 1 package of dark chocolate cake mix, 1 can of cherry pie filling, 2 eggs, whipped topping. That is all.
- Mix together the cake mix (chocolate fudge or devils food), can of pie filling (cherry, strawberry, rhubarb, raspberry) and eggs. I’ve never tried it with a gluten free cake mix. Someone experiment with that and let me know how it turns out.
- Greese a 9×13 glass pan or two 8” round cake pans.
- Bake at 350℉ for 25-30 min until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool and top with whipped topping (whip cream, cool whip, coconut cream).
- Serve as slices of cake or have fun with it. Serve it with ice cream. Layer it in a fancy dish or bowl. So many options.
Boom. Done. Time enjoy some great company, with great people.